Review: The Cock & Dragon

(COCKFOSTERS, BARNET)

Star Rating: Food : 4 Stars Service : 4 Stars





Date of visit: 19 August 2014


The Cock and Dragon, in Cockfosters, is dated back to 1798 and is ideally located near the Tube Station and is opposite Trent Park. Inside the pub is very relaxed with a separate traditional bar area and contemporary Thai styled restaurant where they serve authentic Thai cuisine. The bar is stocked with British Cask Ales and fine wines from around the world. 

David and I decided to make use of our Tastecard before it expires next month.  This gave us 50% off our food bill for two people.  I was in the mood for Thai so we searched their website and found this little gem, that I would not normally have found on my own.  When you walk in you think you are in the wrong place as it looks like a normal pub.  But a surprise awaits you round the side, behind the bar.  You walk through the doors and a whole new world opens up to you. The decor is stunning and the service on arrival was very welcoming.



I ordered a bottle of their house white, as you all know a meal for me is not complete without a bottle of chilled white wine.  David went for green tea as he was as usual our designated driver.  I unfortunately did not take photo's as at that stage I had no intention of reviewing the place as it had been a while since my last review and needed something inspirational to kick me into action again.  This place did the kicking, but only after finishing my meal did it dawn on me to write a review.

To start with we ordered their Tiger Platter @ £10.50Pork ribs, chicken satay, beef satay and duck spring rolls. Served with sweet chilli and satay sauces. All I can say is finger licking good.  I did not want to share this, but alas I had to be social.

I ordered the Kaeng Daeng @ £7.95, Bangkok's famous Thai red curry with lime leaf, coconut milk, peppers and pineapple.  Kau Khai @ 2.95, Thai fragrant coconut rice.  This was probably one of the nicest's red curries I have ever eaten.  Well worth you giving it a try.

David ordered The Weeping Tiger @ £11.95Grilled sirloin steak marinated in oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil served with a spicy Thai dressing with a side order of been sprouts that was not on their menu but they gladly made for him as he does not like rice or noodles.  He said that it was delightful and would definitely try it again.


Overall Experience

Well you already know that I loved the place as it has inspired me to blog again. I will be going back and would highly recommend you give it a try. The whole meal for the two of us with my bottle of wine cost just over £42.  This is where the Tastecard starts to pay for itself and I think that I will be renuning my membership next month, thanks to my sister-in-law Janet who gave it to me as a Birthday present last year.

http://www.thaipubs.co.uk/location/cock-dragon

Chalk Lane, Cockfosters, Barnet, EN4 9HU

Tel: 020 8449 7160


Cock and Dragon on Urbanspoon

      

Rating Guide


5 Stars - Perfect
4.5 Stars - Exceptional
4 Stars - Excellent
3.5 Stars - Very good
3 Stars - Good
2.5 Stars - Average
2 Stars - Bad
1.5 Stars - Very bad
1 Star - Dire

Comments

Popular Posts